Raccoon In Attic – The Damages
Throughout the year it is common for Raccoons to make their way into attics or crawlspaces. Raccoons are looking for warmth or protection of the natural elements, others are looking for a nice cozy location to give birth to their babies. Raccoons will use various ways to access your attic and invariably, there will be damage. Because Raccoons are very strong, intelligent, and determined, they will create a way to enter your attic. Below are some common ways that Raccoons enter your attic or crawlspace:
- Damage attic or roof venting by chewing, pulling, and ripping at plastic or metal vents. Clients usually know they have a problem either by the sounds of the Raccoons or a leak from the vent.
- Ripping chimney caps off and entering chimneys and eventually settling on top of fireplace inserts. It is here that we find Raccoons have their babies. It provides a nice place out the dangers of inclement weather or predators.
- Ripping down soffit above secondary roof, above downspout, above a tree limb, or from a tree limb. Raccoons generally have to have some leverage to gain access this way. Sometimes a Fall Through the soffit by a Raccoon can be confused with an entry point.
- Damaging soffit at a Roof/ soffit corner intersection. Once inside this area Raccoons can freely enter your attic. Remember your soffit is only held in place by a weak metal channel. Unfortunately clients will know they have a Raccoon problem first by experiencing a roof leak.
- Siding ripped or removed. There is not much to stop a raccoon once they rip away vinyl siding.
- Creating holes and damaging roofing. Shingles can be removed quite easily exposing a plywood base. Raccoons can claw and chew their way through wood.
- Accessing through exhaust stack flanges or rubber seals. The most common entry point in this category is around bathroom exhaust pipes.
- Damaging Gable or End vents. Bending or breaking louvers to gain entry. Sometimes leading to water damage.
- Remove Lattice or wood fence to access crawlspaces under cottages and homes
- Enter through crawlspace vents.
Once inside your attic, the damage continues.
- Insulation is damages and moved around for nesting purposes. Insulation also provides a great place to have baby raccoons.
- Raccoons will make your attic their bathroom! They will urinate and defecate wherever they want. This can lead to the risk of contamination and such parasites as raccoon roundworm. Not a healthy environment in your home.
- Raccoons have also passed away in attic spaces which leads to decomposing carcass, odor problems, and even maggots. Raccoons even carry ticks, fleas, and mites which can migrate through your home.
- Inside the attic as the Raccoons are scratching away at the insulation making a nice bed for themselves, they occasionally come across wiring. If the wiring is a nuisance to them in their process of making a home they may try to remove it by biting, scratching or pulling on it. This is a very serious situation and can lead to death of the raccoon in your attic, electrical damage and even a fire risk.
Greenshield Pest Control are experts in Raccoon control. We specialize in Damage repair and Prevention as well as Attic restoration. We provide permanent solutions for all of your Raccoon service needs, backed by Greenshield’s Wildlife Warranties.
|Kingston & Area:||613-389-3999|
|Brockville & Area:||613-342-4554|
|Quinte & Area:||613-966-6665|
|Peterborough & Area:||705-740-9116|
|Ottawa & Area:||1-877-838-7278|